Some really interesting discussion about Hygeine

Comment is free: Wash before you swim

The orginal post was a complaint about a swimming pool that required clients to shower before entering the pool. The discussion raised some really interesting thoughts on hygeine, especially the contrast between British attitudes to hygeine and that of other nationalities. I was pleased to find the issue of wearing shoes in homes was raised and a few British (I presume) comments were made in favour of shoes-off.

I think it is the case that we British tend not to be relaxed about hygeine (except with regards to hospital hygeine at the last election). And that includes me. I may be obsessive (?) about shoes-off in homes and my profile may say that I believe 'cleanliness is next to godliness', but if you lived with me you would find that hygeine is low on my priorities.

Somebody in the discussion thread mentioned the British and dishwashing. That made me smile. The Canadians I met in Japan were quite unhappy with my usual custom of washing dishes without rinsing off the detergent. Nobody ever taught me to rinse dishes after washing them. I only once saw it done in Britain when clearing up teacups after church.