Article on Swedish Culture

Sweden: the world's most modern country?

This article claims that the custom of removing shoes at the door became the norm in Sweden in the 1960s. The article claims:

“It is a commonly held opinion in Sweden that it is bourgeois to keep your shoes on indoors. This is probably inherited from the 1960s when the radical left wished to distance itself from middle-class habits such as indoor shoes.”


Perhaps some of the many Swedish visitors to this blog may be able to clarify this.

While I am pretty Right-wing politically and a member of the Conservative party, I cannot help feeling that removing shoes at the door (apart from in Asian countries) is not very Right-wing at all.

There is something very modernist about the informality of shoes-off that does not sit easily with a conservatism that hearkens back to past generations.

I think as I have become more entrenched in my 'no-shoes past the door' position, I have become more liberal in my attitudes. I have become very pro-immigration. I have become more positive about modern Britain and in favour of a modernising approach to Conservative politics (I think David Cameron is great).