This Week's NATIONAL ETIQUETTE AWARD goes to.... Austria!

Austria page in Wikipedia

Austria Tourist Guide

Austria Today

I hereby grant the National Etiquette Award to Austria, as it is common in that country for people to remove shoes when entering homes.

In many Austrian homes it is the custom to provide guests with slippers. This is a custom that is apparently declining, sadly. Still, removing shoes is far more common than in Britain.

Austria was in the newspapers today. Bird Flu has now spread to Austria from the east, which is a little worrying. Austria has always been a frontier of Europe. For many centuries, Austria was the frontier of Christendom against the Islamic Ottoman empire. Several times, the Muslim Turks laid siege to Vienna. Now, the Bird Flu virus is laying siege to Europe. Personally I am not inclined to panic about the Bird Flu epidemic. I do not expect it to be all that bad.

I went on a school ski trip to Austria when I was 15. I was not very good at skiing, unsurprising given my Dyspraxia, but it was interesting to see that country.

Austria is a Catholic country. For information about Roman Catholicism, visit:

Chick Publications

BibleBelievers.com