More than feet touch the floor

A couple of months ago I invited some friends over for dinner. There was still a lot of snow on the ground from a significant snowfall we had a few days earlier. Shoes came off at the door out of courtesy and habit. We ate dinner at the kitchen table (alas! I have no dining room in my apartment) and then adjourned to the living room for a little social time. We watched a movie together and then one friend and I decided to play on the X-box for a little while. We sat on the floor to do that. I remember thinking how embarrassing it was to have a guest sitting on my dirty carpet. The shoes may have been off then, but they had not always been in the past, and the carpet shows it. I doubt that my friend really thought about it, but it was not a pleasant thought for me. If feet were the only thing that ever touched the floor, dirty carpets might not bother me so much, but they aren't. When one sits on the floor, hands end up on the floor, too. Dirt from the floor can come off on clothes as well. I will now ask my guests to remove their shoes for the sake of my guests who sit on the floor. It will help me be a hostess with a good conscience.