Renter's floors

I am a renter. I do not own my living quarters, so I do not own the floors. There is a temptation with non-ownership to not take care of the floor as we might with floors we own. Not long after I moved in to my apartment my landlord came by and did not want to walk through my apartment because his shoes were dirty. Being found then still in my BSO* days, I showed no objection to the dirty shoes on the floor, because the floors belong to him, not to me. Since then he has felt free to walk across the floors with his shoes on at pretty much any time. I gave him license, so why not? It has since started to bother me, but I am moving next week and now is not the time to make an issue of it.

How does a renter handle the situation of the landlord walking through the apartment or house with their shoes on? This is a question that I would like to pose for the readers here.

There is another problem with the above situation, however. I was far too ready to disregard what happened to the floor because ultimately it wasn't mine. I was not being a good steward of the things entrusted to me in that situation. We really do not ever own any material possession. The earth is the Lord's and all it contains. It all belongs to God and He grants us stewardship of property regardless of whose name is on the deed. I think that taking care of what we own is a good way to show appreciation for the things God has given to us. I do not do a good job in this area, but I will start by trying to take care of my floors. Help me be a good steward and take your shoes off at my door. I would appreciate it.

*Before Shoes Off