Back Away From the Shoes!

Back Away From the Shoes! Just back up and let it go!

Slowly---slowly.

Good.




It is Labor Day and those white shoes die today! No white after labor day! I grew up with that rule--no white after labor day. Did you? My mother lived by that rule and so did all my aunts and cousins. There was no way we could ever wear summer white after today. The color changed. We could wear "winter white" or shades of ecru. "Winter white" could only be worn in winter, from January to easter. No ecru could be worn in the "ber" months. (September, October, November, December) So no white or ecru in the fall at all.

It kills me when I see people in my office wearing white after labor day. I really do go up to them and tell then "no white after labor day!" They look at me like I am crazy. I look at them like they are crazy right back and ask, " have you not heard of that before????" Most of them have but choose to ignore it. Most of them do take heed and remember.

Last year a man who works in another part of the office had on a pair of white summer slacks the week of labor day. I immediately went up to him and asked if his wife saw what he had on before he left the house. He looked at me kind of sheepishly and said "no white after labor day, right?" I nodded. He said he wife had menitoned that to him but he did not want to change clothes. He took heed.

So all you white shoe, open toe, sandal wearing people better break out those shoes for the last time today and wear the hell out of them! It is your last chance. When the clock strikes midnight tonight, you will be a fashion bumpkin in those white shoes!

What I do is kick them in the pants with a diamond buckled shoe!
~~Aileen Mehle~~

|