Shoe Covers

Sometimes in internet discussions of this subject, people suggest that those with shoes-off homes should provide shoe covers, so those visiting can keep their shoes on.

Firstly, I am not sure if you can wear shoe covers with high heeled shoes or flip flops. Does anybody know if you can? I would be interested to know.

Secondly, I think there are circumstances in which shoe covers might be an idea. For workmen who have to protect their feet or for those who are elderly or have some medical condition.

The reason I do not like the idea is that it goes against the whole aesthetic of 'shoes off at the door.' The idea is that the guest enters the comfort of the host's house and is able to relax and unburden herself of shoes.

Strange as it may seem, I do not feel entirely comfortable in a living room in which people are wearing shoes. Even if I am not wearing mine, the presence of shod persons makes me feel like I am in an office or hotel.

I think if a person would rather wear shoe covers which make them look ridiculose rather than take their shoes off in a comfortable home, I think they must be far more obsessive than I am.