Luke Skywalker has a Shoes-Off Rule!

I could not resist writing this post!

Not the white-clad farm boy that you see in Star Wars: A New Hope, but the fifty-year old married Jedi master that he turns into over the course of over two dozen novels that continue the adventures of the Star Wars characters.

Since I was 13, I have enjoyed reading these novels that continue the story after Return of the Jedi. This week, I decided to return to them and picked up The Joiner King, the first part of the Dark Nest trilogy.

I was thrilled to discover that Luke and his wife Mara Jade have a no-shoes rule in their home, on the planet Ossus (where removing shoes is apparently the custom). In this novel, Mara is reminded by their ten-year old son to remove her shoes.

It was a great novel, one of the best Star Wars novels I have read. My only complaint is an incident in the story where Luke Skywalker authorises the use of torture. This smacks too much of the way the USA has sailed close to the dark side. I was glad the John McCain, Republican candidate in the recent US election took a strong stand against torture.