The Odd Shoe

I began a new position about a year and a half ago and when I look at my co-workers, they see me as the odd shoe. Why I am not sure. They seem like all odd shoes to me. I believe the problem stems from exposure to the world. The people I work with have none...literally. They think the foods I eat are strange. Some have never even heard of seen things like hearts of palm, or artichokes that are fresh, or blood orange juice, or sushi or asian pears or acai or even a different type of pasta. I took left over tortellini for lunch one day and it was an amazement to them. They must have been living under rocks their WHOLE lives. They think I am the odd one, eating or drinking odd and foreign things for lunch each day.

I go into work and often ask if anyone heard about"whatever" on the news last night. They do not watch the news. They do not know what is happening locally or globally. Having a conversation is like teaching school. You have to do a lot of explaining just to have a conversation. It gets old. It has gotten old. These odd shoes might just have to get walking. Being around very unsophisticated people gets old. In some cases it is just plain ignorance. and they are happy to stay right where they are.

What I do is kick them in the pants with a diamond buckled shoe!
~~Aileen Mehle~~