I had a visit from the "T.V. Detector Man"

Americans are often amazed to learn that in Britain you have to buy a licence to own a television set (which according to Richyrich costs £142.50). Other than satisfying our traditional British puritanism (of which I am justly proud) it pays for the BBC, the greatest public broadcasting corporation in the world (which blessed us with Doctor Who). In the USA nobody watches public broadcasting, here in the UK you have public broadcasting which is good enough to compete with, and often betters commerical broadcasting.



If you don't pay for a t.v. licence you can get a huge fine or even be put in prison.

If like me, you do not own a television, you will get lots of scary letters warning you of the consequences of watching t.v. without a licence. Until now.

I had a visit from the 'T.V. Detector Man" who came to inspect my property to see if I own a television. I had no hesitation in inviting him in to carry out his inspection.

I was glad to see he noticed the 'Please take off your shoes' sign on my doormat and he politely removed them. Very encouraging.