Waving as the Ships Go By

This is a touchy (and kind of silly) subject for me, so I usually avoid it, but can't help but to blog-whine a bit today, so sorry, ladies.

This happened once before, about two years ago, when the BF and I received wedding invitations nearly non-stop because almost every couple we knew decided it was time to get hitched that spring, summer and fall.

And now it is happening again. Our brownstone besties, a young couple a few homes down, recently gave birth to a baby boy. Our neighbors on the left  is expecting their first baby in three more months. And now our techno-loving neighbors on the right have just converted one of their extra bedrooms into a nursery. This is aside from five of our bestie couple friends from other cities already having had babies. And for good measure, throw in Rachel Zoe expecting, Natalie Portman expecting, and Posh Spice expecting her sixth/eighth/fourth kid.

Did I miss a memo somewhere?

I don't want to get all Charlotte York-MacDougal-Goldenblatt on everyone now, but does the marriage - and now baby - flood imply that I am missing my socially-acceptable wedded-bliss-then-baby train? As the sole offspring left in each of our respective families who are not yet married and child'd, the BF and I are both bearing the burden of the standard-but-getting-increasingly-relentless family inquiries whenever we go home.

Is it a strange thing that we - BF and I - live our lives the way that works for us - which in our case means living together but not yet married nor planning nor engaged. Am I feeling pressured to want something or do something by society - or does society have a point and there's a reason why almost everyone my age seems to be getting married and having kids now? I guess I always figured there'd be some sort of sign or directional beacon to point me in the right when/where path for my next life adventures - and that light would also show me what that next chapter would be - so I can't help but to wonder a bit if the signs are all around me right now and I just can't see them? Am I just fearful of change and maturity and the natural progression of life?

Lady Angst is done - What do you gals think? Do you think there's a "right" time to get married, settle down, have kids?

☂   ☂   ☂   ☂

And this is late - and that's about right for me, isn't it, haha - but here's what I wore on Monday (my jailbird Valentine's):




Jacket: J. Crew marled thandie (worn here before - similar here or here)
Top: J. Crew perfect striped (worn here before - similar here or tank here)
Skirt: J. Crew ikat floral bungalow (worn here before - similar here in a respectable length)
Tights: Anthropologie Eloise (they're actually purple, but it's hard to tell - similar here)
Boots: Type Z (worn here before - similar here or here)
Necklace: White Owl via Etsy (similar stone-y here or not sim but fab here)
Shoe Clip worn as Brooch: Lilywinkel via Etsy