Check Out the Stripes

This is an outfit I wore last Friday for some casual end of the week fun. I took inspiration from Eleanor and Courtnee, two fantastically fashionable do-it-all women who are pros at strong style and rocking a peg leg boy jean.

One of the many reasons that I am so obsessed with clothes is how I love how choosing an outfit in the can help to define my mood for the day. Putting on a sparkly number will suddenly make even a dreary evening in seem like a special occasion. A strong-shoulder suit jacket and killer patent heels gives me the subconscious air of authority I need for vendor negotiations. A flippy skirt will have me dancing down the street.

What I love most is how putting together a great outfit or specific piece of clothing can give me a shot of stand-up-taller-shoulders-back-flip-of-the-hair-big-smile-on-my-face confidence. There's something about a blazer that makes me feel competent and put-together. I think it's the mix of the defined shoulders and the fit-and-flare of the waistline that makes me feel more woman-ly. 

What piece of clothing do you have that makes your feel like a strong and confident woman?




Jacket: Anthropologie Cartonnier Hello Sunday (worn here before - similar here)
Shirt: Lands' End Canvas gingham poplin (worn here before - similar here)
Jeans: AT Loft modern bootcut (similar here)
Belt: J. Crew embossed (worn here before - similar here)
Necklace: Anthropologie double torsade (worn here before - similar-ish here)
Shoes: Nine West Temani patent wedges (worn here before - similar ankle-strap here or color here)

♠   ♠   ♠   ♠

I'm behind on my blogger-ly duties, so if you haven't submitted an outfit pic yet for this week's Respect the Outfits reader post, there's still time!

This week, we're featuring items from your closet that haven't had enough love - send your outfit pic, plus details and a short descriptor on your particular piece(s) to respecttheshoes(at)live.com.

You now have until Tuesday at midnight - thanks so much! And for you gals who have already submitted pics, thanks for your patience!