Getting to know you...

Like many things in my life at the moment, I am a bit behind. The summer slow-down had such a profound effect that I can't quite speed up; still ever-so-slightly hazy and floaty, but with all the best intentions. But, I did want to catch up on a 'get to know you' blog tag that Christina from Fashion's Most Wanted gave me back in August (eeek). You thought I'd forgotten didn't you?! Christina is one of life's delightfully flamboyant people; I really like reading her blog.

via from me to you
1. What is your favourite time of day?
Early morning, first person up, dew on the grass, earl grey tea. I never used to be a morning person but now it's the time I most appreciate where we live, how lucky we are to look out and see rolling fields.

2. Where and when did you meet the love of your life?
I married the boy next door, so I first recall ever 'meeting' him when I rode my bicycle the house his family had bought. I guess that must have been in 1981...I was seven years old.

via Copenhagen Cycle Chic
3. What three words would your friends outside the blogging world use to describe you?
Complex.
Quirky.
 Dare I say? Stylish?

I canvassed opinion from a best friend, she said:
Thoughtful
Focused
Honey-dewed!

4. What country would you like to visit and why?
I feel I should have a far-flung, exotic and mind-expanding answer here. However, if I am really honest there are places in countries relatively near here that I would like to see. Tuscany for example. Or East Coast USA, like Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. Although, I would love to stay in one of those houses on stilts in the Maldives or Fiji. I love the beach and the sea, in any form...so I would choose proximity to water any time. But not on a boat...!

Nantucket beach house - Country Living
5. What is your favourite dish to cook?    
There is a Nigella chicken recipe which is just home-food personified for me. Roast a chicken, use the hot roasting tray juices to soften sultanas, add pasta, toasted pine nuts and torn basil. Add roast chicken shreds, toss it all together in the tray, top with grated Parmesan and lots of salt and pepper. Just heavenly...

6. Salt or sugar?
Salt - especially on tomatoes. It has to be crunchy sea salt too...Maldon is the best.

7. What are your must have make-up or beauty items?
Categorically could not live without lip balm. Not ever.
I am also now rather partial to this Ren serum...smells divine.




by Olivia Graham

8.  What are your favourite flowers?   
Orchids - for their delicacy.
Hibiscus - for their tropical feel.
Tulips - for their Spring-filled loveliness, brimming with hope.
Roses - for their scent.

via prettystuff

9.  What do you think are your worst vices, honestly?
Despite my apparent advancing years, I still persistently spend money that I don't really have.  I do have pious times where I pass a few months economising but then ruin it all every time there is new season of clothing or a 'look' for the farmhouse that I want to achieve. 

Also I have noticed recently that I mentally make excuses for things that I should be doing with the justification that I am too busy/tired. I realise that actually I opt out of too much and I wonder if people feel they could rely on me. Something a friend said to me recently gave me this slightly painful insight into the fact that I am not reliable; the inference that I wouldn't 'come through' if it mattered.


10.  At what time of your life were you happiest and why?  
Hard to say; happiness is a tricky emotion to define. The times I have been distinctly unhappy are easier to pinpoint as being noticeable and prominent. On the whole, I have been lucky enough to be happy in life, although I wonder if people who know me would describe me that way? I am a pensive soul; does that ever equate to happiness in its unadulterated form?! I do feel complete now; there is not much I could wish for. I spend alot of time wondering if I am indeed happy and conclude that I am. There are things that stress me and I get anxious about stuff, but the underlying principles of my life make me very happy, more so now than ever. 

So that's me; for what it's worth :-)

I would like to pass this on to the following bloggers, some of whom I have only recently come across...


Laura @ A Place for Tea
Racheal @ C'est Bon Bon
Alison @ Cowparsley
Olivia-Rae @ Everyday Musings 
Victoria @ Hibiscus Bloem 
Marcie @ Lemons & Laundry


Love Lou Lou xx