Gloriously Inglorious


Top: J. Crew Evie blouse (worn here and here before - similar-ish online here)
Sweater: Forever 21 (worn here before)
Skirt: Ann Taylor pleated tweed (similar online here or here)
Tights: Target
Shoes: Aldo Currie (worn here and here before - similar online here and here)

Fashion blogging has been a styling revelation for me, because not only has it given me the courage to wear pieces outside of my comfort zone, but I've found innumerable real-life fashion inspirations in my fellow bloggers. This has been incredibly helpful in the way I see how to put clothes together and how to wear them, especially since I've never been able to extract the same sort of inspiration before from the styleboards of yore (aka fashion mags, pop culture, movies/TV, etc.).

Until that is, I watched Glorious 39. It is a BBC film about a well-to-do political family in 1939 Britain as Hitler is gaining power in Europe and another war looms. But the movie is really besides the point, because all I really cared about were those gorgeous period costumes.

{images courtesy of A Plus B in the Sea}

The plot was actually quite meh-worthy, but I've never watched a movie or TV show before this that actually made me want a character's entire wardrobe and had me scratching my head in my closet trying to figure out how to recreate her look (not even The Devil Wears Prada, because all I did through that film was drool over the Chanel boots and think of how squat, frizzy-headed and unclacker-like I was - ah, good times). My outfit today is (hopefully) my modern, more casual interpretation of the character Anne Keyes' chic English style.

So how about you? Have you ever watched a film or show that fashionably-inspired you to dress a certain way? If so, what was it?