3-2-1 Contact



Dress: Forever 21 Frond Linen Blend (worn here before - also seen on Spiffy! and Jan!)
Belt: Urban Outfitters Deena & Ozzy stretch (worn here and here and here before)
Shoes: Sofft Giovanna (worn here, here and here before)
Necklace: Anthropologie Double Torsade (worn here and here before)

Long post alert! I had Lasik surgery done on my eyes a few years ago and it literally has changed my life. I can't tell you how good it still feels to wake up in the morning and be able to see the sun streaming in through the blinds and the numbers on the clock. I don't have to deal with glasses headaches anymore or have to worry if I packed my contacts solution or rewetting drops if I go anywhere.

I know some of you ladies are considering Lasik as a option to correct your vision and wanted to hear about my experience with it, so here it is. I won't go into details about what the procedure is or how to pick a doctor because we all already know it is imperative to do your research first - plus I'm no expert!

Pre-surgery
The techs at the doc's office will do like a million tests on your eyes first to see if you can have the procedure. These tests not only help to determine if you have agstimatism or other eye irregularities, but also checks on the thickness of your cornea, and the amount and the locations of tissue to be removed during the surgery.

It took me 3-4 months of doc visits before I got approved for my surgery. This was because I have chronic dry eye and the Lasik procedure is said to make your eyes even drier. The doc ended up putting me on a prescription for Restasis (a prescription eye drop that increases tear production), which resolved the issue after a few weeks.

The procedure
The actual procedure only take like 20 minutes but you're in the doc's office for a few hours. First they give you Valium or some mild sedative so you don't freak out as they play with your eyeballs. Then they put some drops in your eyes to numb them and put a suction ring on your eyeball to hold it in place. The ring will completely blur your vision - which is fine, because the next step is where they cut a flap off your cornea.

I had IntraLasik done, which means the flap cutting is done with a laser instead of the standard blade. I highly recommend this option because it is more precise, and let's face it, no one likes the idea of a blade anywhere near an eyeball, especially if it is your own!

One item the doc never mentioned to me but I was glad I had the sedative for - when the real laser gets in and "remodels" your eye, you will smell burning. And yes, that burning is from you. But you'll be on Valium, so everything will be a-okay.

Post-surgery
Your eyes are going to feel like they've got sand in them for a few days and there may be a red ring around the white of your eyes from the suction ring - it'll all go away after a few days, just remember to not rub your eyes! You'll probably be ultra-sensitive to light for a while too.

The awesome side of things is that you'll see improved vision pretty much immediately. A week after my surgery, my doc said I had better than 20/20 vision - I don't think I ever had that!

Cost
Lasik ain't cheap. It runs about $2,000+ per eye. I saved up for mine and paid it in one sum, but most offices will offer payment plans if you're interested. I don't know if insurances will cover this because mine at the time didn't.

Long-term
It's been about two years since surgery and I can still see clearly. I probably don't see as crisply as I did that first month or so right after surgery, but keep in mind that though Lasik is permanent, your eyes will still continue to age with use.

+++

Hope this little tidbit helps. Let me know if you've got any Qs - and for any other gals who have also had Lasik done, please add your comments if I've forgotten anything!

(If you're in the ABQ-area, I can't recommend Dr. Bernitsky enough. Yeah, he's the guy on all the billboards, but he was my doc and I found him, his staff and his facility exceedingly professional and helpful).