Giving the Boot



Dress: Banana Republic (worn here before)
Belt: J. Crew embossed
Necklace: Anthropologie Double Torsade (worn here, here in coral and here before)
Shoes: Sofft Giovanna (worn a million zillion times before)

Well I got my new Steve Madden boots in yesterday. And I love them. The color and leather are spectacular (richer brown in real life) and the little brass details are "just" enough. Too bad I'll be returning them.

One thing people always forget to tell you is that when you're short, knee-high boots are too tall for you. Meaning a 15"+ tall shaft (typical for most knee-high boots) usually ends right at the bottom of the knee, so if you think about bending your leg, you get the leather rub right in the back of your knee. Plus there's usually an unflattering gap at the top of the boot because the part that is supposed to be covering the widest part of your calf isn't (because I'm short). So I'm usually stuck looking for mid-calf boots (mid-calf for you regular-heighted folks), that typically have a 13"-ish shaft.

But you're tricky, Mr. Madden. You incorrectly labeled these lovely boots as a 13" high shaft - and even when Lulu's got the boots on their site, they listed them as a 13.5" shaft. So "pooh" to both of you. And just my luck, as of yesterday, Zappos and Piperlime now also have these boots - except only Piperlime has the shaft height right!

Rambling story short? If you're normal height and looking for a casual brown boot, the Madden Olsters are gorgeous and worth a try. But if you're short like me, you may be SOL.