Pinkies Up, Please!


I can take myself seriously in my pics for about a minute. Then I look like this.

Top: Anthropologie Little Yellow Button Curated tee
Skirt: Banana Republic (worn here and here before)
Shoes: Sofft Giovanna (worn almost every day)
Necklace: Anthropologie Double Torsade (worn here, here and here before)

After a recent post from the fabulous Melissa regarding commenting, I got to thinking about blogger etiquette. There are a lot of new technology and social media platforms that are being embraced all over the place, and because of that, loads of people have questions around about the right way to interact with others through those tools. I too, am one of those people, especially because I feel like a lot of us tend to forget our general social graces when utilizing these tools.

I think it is awesome that blogs exist for people to share ideas and interests in a fairly informal forum that is easily accessed and distributed. But when was it OK to start leaving snarky anon comments to complete strangers or to steal pics and entire posts from other people just because they aren't in your same blog circle?

I've never tried passing myself off as an expert in anything, so take the below with a grain of salt and understanding that these are my personal views. Here are my unofficial rules for blogging:

1. Be prepared that folks won't agree with you
(If you're going to come out with a personal editorial about your feelings about the folks who run the government or just who makes the better brand of lip gloss, understand that not everyone is going to agree - and that's OK)

2. Be respectful
(As an add-on to #1, disagreeing with someone doesn't mean it is alright to not be polite just because you can hide behind your computer while doing it)

3. Acknowledge your sources
(We get ideas from other bloggers and other sites all the time, what's the harm in sourcing them to give them proper credit?)

4. Responding to comments
(I feel like if someone's going to take the time to read and comment on a post, it should be reciprocated in some way. Do I think that means every comment should be responded to every time? Heck no, who has the time? but personally blog banter is one of my fave parts of blogging!)

I intentionally left this post short (my version of short?) because I'm interested in hearing from you lovelies. What are your ideas of blog etiquette? What do you consider your major blogging Dos and Don'ts?