Would You Like Some Ice With That?

Do you gals ever get a piece of clothing or two stuck in your head as something you want to - heck, need to - wear for a certain day and have to work to try to put it all together?

Well unfortunately I got three things stuck in my head and should have known I was doomed from the start. One was my orange wool herringbone blazer from J. Crew from years ago. It's one of my favorite pieces and has got this gold silk tie fabric under the collar and is fitted in the waist. Second was this tulip skirt I purchased from Ann Taylor Loft on super-sale and couldn't figure out what to do with because the tulip shape bunches up in front when I sit down. Then I wanted to wear a scarf from my huge collection that I never wear, thanks to What Would a Nerd Wear making me think of scarves.

Now I'm not saying that I look bad today - I actually think I look pretty well put together. But it wasn't really the look I was going for. I think it looks too business-y and also made me feel a bit like a flight attendant. I guess my shot at trying to look hip ended up looking like a uniform. All I need is a name badge and a tray and I can go staff something.

Any idea on how to freshen this up? Maybe if I had some printed tights or cool ankle boots, that would work? Or should I just have started back to square one?


Uh-oh. My over-color-processed picture is making me wobbly.

And full on wobble! And lost the scarf!

Close-up of the belt, which I really like.

Jacket: J. Crew herringbone
Sweater: Banana Republic ballet neck short sleeve
Skirt: Ann Taylor Loft tulip skirt
Belt: Urban Outfitters Deena & Ozzy stretch
Tights: Anne Klein circa who knows?
Shoes: Franco Sarto
Scarf: silk, thrifted