Things of beauty...

Friday; happy day! This weekend calls for all sorts of Christmas preparations; 'feeding' brandy to the Christmas cake we made, sourcing and decorating the tree, searching for those presents that have so far alluded me. The tree is a BIG deal for me - it's got to be real, it's got to have that unmistakable fresh nordic pine smell, it's got to feature all the years of decorations and baubles from the time my husband and I first lived together, to now.

This week I saw my daughter sing in her school choir in a Cathedral; it was just spine-tinglingly lovely. But as the weeks wear on, I am ready now for them to finish school and try to ease into the Christmas 'proper'.

For me it's been a reflective week as I ask myself yet again - what's it all for? I mean this in a good way...but it's telling to me that this question arises in my mind so much. I find myself thinking a lot about the past. I understand that this preoccupation with the past and with nostalgic thoughts is prevalent in my generation as we struggle to reconcile the massive changes in everyday life since we were young. Before mobile phones and home computing and when on winter's evenings my friends and I would ride our bikes around the neighbourhood, breathing in that cold air as we peddled. It all seemed so simple then! But no matter how much I look back, I have to say, I would rather be here than there...so time to embrace the future - with whatever it holds.

Rachel Weisz
This would be my kind of Christmas decorating - simple, traditional and to be done in front of a roaring fire.







Lovely, contemplative image of Kirsten Dunst...


Emerson Made
There are those Eames chairs again...what a beautiful, simple, white setting. Love this.


Elie Saab
The very lucky Diane Kruger...



Santa Claus - if you wouldn't mind, these would be very welcome underneath the Christmas tree... ;-)


via the bottom of the ironing basket

I unexpectedly won a Vogue subscription this week from The Bottom of the Ironing Basket! Thank you!! In the words of Carrie:

"When I first moved to New York and I was totally broke, sometimes I bought Vogue instead of dinner. I found it fed me more."


More simple decorations...here from Country Living.


Twinkly lights; they are magical...wherever this is (the corner of nowhere?); it's got that special Christmas feel.


Picture the scene: it's 1983, I am 9, I get roller skates for Christmas! This image brought that all back! Oh the excitement of that first roll!

via crush cul de sac

Here's to a wonderful, excitment-building weekend!