Full Disclosure: Eat Me

I have always been a gal who has loved food - I watch the Food Network all the time, Anthony Bourdain is one of my personal heroes, I love to try new recipes, new foods, new restaurants. I'll try any new food at least once. Second to fashion, I think about food all the time.

I am definitely a bored eater and a compulsive snacker. If you're eating, I want to eat too. If I am bored, I want to eat. If it is meal time, I want to eat, regardless of whether or not I am hungry. My body doesn't listen to the "feeling full" signals, it listens to the "am I satisfied" signals - and I am rarely satisfied when it comes to food.

IMG_3346  IMG_3323

I guess I've always had a hang-up about food but I hadn't started noticing it until a few years ago. I've always loved to eat and except for a period during junior high where I was quite a bit overweight, I've always been able to consume what I want and mostly "absorb" it. And through high school and college, I've dabbled with eating disorders but have never been a very "successful" at it - I loved food too much to deny myself.

As I am getting older, I am noticing that this eating what I want business is catching up with me. My diet is mostly unhealthy and it is getting out of control. I need to take charge of what I put in my own body. This is stuff I realized on Sunday night, after mentally recapping my day's indulgences ...

... which included:
  • Breakfast: turkey & salami sandwich on sourdough baguette
  • Snack: small movie popcorn & cherry frosty
  • Lunch: turkey sandwich on sourdough baguette, handful of Jelly Bellies
  • Snack: slice of apple pie, handful of green bean chips
  • Dinner: NY strip steak with waffle fries, salad
  • Dessert: slice of apple pie
  • After-Dinner Dinner: leftover steak fried rice
  • After-Dinner Dessert: apple Toaster Strudel

IMG_3331  IMG_3311

I think there's enough negativity about our body image in the world that I don't want to add to it, so please don't think I am being unecessarily vain and just whining about feeling fat because I know I'm not (though certain times of the month, I feel like the size of a zeppelin). But I was shocked at the amount and poor quality of food I consumed and I realized that I need to learn to eat healthier and be more conscious about what I am putting into my body.

However, I am also a realist and don't think I can turn myself into one of those "I eat local organic non-gluten vegan-only" chicks because I refuse to give up the dirty carbs which includes pizza, pasta, ooey chewey white bread, amongst other things. Plus I still think about food and trying food all the time, and live with a man who thinks of vegetables as a nasty four-letter word.

So what do I think will turn me around from decades of poor eating habits and a compulsion with food? I'm not really sure yet, I haven't done the research. But I am starting a food journal so I can keep track of what I am consuming, and I've bought a ton of gum so I can chew that when I am bored instead of stuffing Cheetos into my gullet.

IMG_3353

For you healthy eaters out there, what started you gals on your healthier eating path? And for everyone, can you please offer me some advice or tips so I can stay on the "straight and narrow" of food, while not feeling like I am denying myself?

♦   ♦   ♦   ♦

Sweater: Anthropologie Moth jewelers choice (check stores - similar in red here or ish in green here)
Skirt: H&M silky floral (worn here before - similar here or here)
Shoes: Nine West temani patent wedges (worn here before - similar here or here)