Homage to The Sartorialist...

I read an article in UK Vogue many moons ago about Scott Schuman and what he did with his phenomenal blog, The Sartorialist (currently nearing 20,000 followers and counting). At that point in time I had never really considered looking at blogs, had no idea of the breadth and scope of blogging - from photography, to diarists, to crafts, to cooking, to fashionistas, to mothers...honestly I had no idea.

Anyway, I logged on to see what this 'street photographer' did and was literally, instantaneously hooked. I spent that afternoon hitting the 'scroll down' button and looked at every image. It was also around the time Scott Schuman's book was being published; I ordered that too! Maybe it's strange to say, when describing what is ostensibly a fashion/style/outfit blog, but I was moved by the humanness of it. I told all of my friends about it, I made them log on just to see what I had seen. I even wrote to Scott saying that what I had seen had lifted my spirits so much!  Scott wrote back...he said:

Hi there,
Thanks for the thoughtful email.  I'm glad you enjoy the site.
- S

OK so he is a chap of few words, but still!

The thing is - for all that people say that fashion is vacant and unnecessary; that there is deeper meaning in life, that what counts is what is on the inside and not the outside...I say I agree in principle, but then I turn to 'The Sartorialist'. The point I am always grappling with is that what people choose to wear is Important with a capital 'I'. Not every day for sure, sometimes only pyjama days will do. But at least every now and then...

It's not about money as his pictures will attest. It's about style and effort and quirk and different seasons. It's about elegance and appreciation and aesthetics. It's about beauty in all things, not just the conventional. Here are some of my favourites...




If ever there was laid-back summer easy elegance...


This one really caught my eye - love clothes with detail on the back...I like to think she is on the phone, idly wondering whether to purchase that red bra! Yep...I would...


I love how this polka-dot tea dress looks so modern and fresh, especially with the contrast to the 'suits'...


This one is from Sydney, I think she looks so stylish for an office day...


London girls...great picture...and that BAG! It's from here - I had to track it down!




Effortless...and possible for Mummies to emulate!


all images from The Sartorialist